The year of no games

Thursday, February 02, 2006

One down, eleven to go!




Well that was actually much easier than I expected. One month's out of the way and there's only the rest of the year to go. In fairness January was always going to be the easiest month. It's by far the quietest month in the gaming calendar and remains set to always be the case as long as Xmas is draining wallets in December.

So what have I learnt from the first month then? I've learnt that Brothers in Arms is bastard hard, I've rediscovered the joys of sim racing, I've realised handheld gaming is mostly not for me, I've learnt that games look great in widescreen and I've learnt my PC is, in general, extremely noisy. Above all I've learnt that my attention span matches that of a distracted mosquito. My main plan of sticking to one game on a system at a time has massively fallen on its face (I blame BIA for this) and the net result is that I've yet again only placed tiny amounts of play time into around ten different games. This month I plan to correct this by finishing Brothers in Arms above all else. Within the next few days I will endeavour to ensure Baker gets to where he's going and that he gets there with his entire squadron intact.

On the subject of the noisy PC, I've gotten back into The Movies this week. I loaded my save game to find that I'd not helped Cinder Toffee Films progress up the movie-making charts since early December. I'd stopped playing because the tutorial had become very boring 4 hours in, but it seems I only had a little way to go because almost immediately upon playing again I found that the full game was starting to make itself apparent in front of me. I found myself getting extremely engrossed in maintaining the studio lot and the stars within and before I knew it a couple of in-game decades had passed. Great fun indeed and even though I suspect I'll never touch the movie-making suite within I'll still rate this pretty highly. I'm away in Hull this weekend but I'll be putting more work into the studio as soon as I can.

I've not been blogging this past month too effectively so I'm going to make an effort to update things twice a week at least, even if it's only to give a mini-review of a game I've rediscovered. The updates may well end up being very short but I'll try to ensure they're sweet ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home